Monday, April 13, 2015

Some things you can't count, really count.

From Ethan: Mon, Apr 13, 2015 10:34 am
So far I think Kimberly has been the toughest area I have served in. Then again it is a little bit like Mountain Home where we started out with nothing but things are getting better! Elder Cardon and I hit the pavement hard this week and we got a lot done but it hasn't been showing in our reports of numbers. It is a little discouraging but I love this quote from Albert Einstein," Many of the things you can count, don't count. Many of the things you can't count, really count."

From General Conference this April we learned from President Uchtdorf in his talk On being Genuine that "if Jesus Christ were to sit down with us and ask for an accounting of our stewardship, I am not sure He would focus much on programs and statistics. What the Savior would want to know is the condition of our heart. He would want to know how we love and minister to those in our care... and how we lighten their daily load. And the Savior would want to know how you and I grow closer to Him and to our Heavenly Father.". We know you cannot count how much you love people, or even how much you try to help them. Only the Lord knows our desires and how hard we are really working to progress the work forward. Elder Cardon and I have been struggling with rejection this week. It seems like nobody wants our help to come closer to Jesus Christ or even learn about Him! Two families we have been trying to help come back to church told us they didn't want visits anymore. I feel so bad when that happens and ask myself, what did I do wrong? I don't know why they decided to discontinue our relationship but I know that I am trying my best to help people and I know that God knows as well. 

On a more positive note, Russ and Maggie Gaynor had their baby this last Friday! His name is Andrew and we get to meet him today over lunch :) We are also going to go on a hike with our Twin Falls North Zone down in the canyon here in Twin so that should be fun. I'm grateful for the wonderful missionaries I serve around and also the wonderful member of the church that have us in their home when we are struggling to find things to do.

Idaho is still the best!! (You know besides Minnesota!) To my surprise, there are an unruly number of Green Bay Packers fans out here. I cannot figure it out other than they are just band wagon fans. VIKINGS >>> Packers.

Love you all and thank you for your support!

- Elder Ethan Howard  

No comments:

Post a Comment