Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Serving a Spanish Mission for the last 6 Weeks??

From Ethan: Mon, Aug 31, 2015 

I don't know if I mentioned that with our combination of areas, Wendell and Hagerman, that we serve in the Spanish Branch for the Stake also! Elder Calderon is native to Chile and moved to Utah when he was 13 so he is fluent in both languages. There is a lot of Spanish work here in Idaho, they say that almost half of the population of the Magic Valley (Southern Idaho) is Hispanic. So I've been working on my Spanish and I think the extent of what I can say is "Sorry I do not speak Spanish, but I know the church is true." and that works for testifying! Most of what Elder Schuck and I do in lessons is read scriptures in Spanish and I'm sure we sounds like a couple of blancos (white boys). I cannot imagine what it would be like to teach the gospel, understand peoples needs and be able to overcome issues while speaking a different language. I now have a higher respect for those missionaries that go to foreign countries with little to no education in a foreign language. I know the Lord helps them out with the gift of tongues in certain situations. I haven't put much work into learning the language but I hope I can experience that! 

Going in between Wendell and Hagerman has made us a lot busier but we can't get as much done with the lack of time. It seems like after Cameron's baptism, work here in Hagerman has really slowed down. We haven't been into contact with Xandre, and Vanessa is moving this week. We are going to see her tonight for one last time unless she needs help packing a few more things. Last week we did have an awesome lesson about Enduring to the End. Sharing 2 Nephi 31:20                         " Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life."
  and Mosiah 2:41, one of my favorite scriptures! " 41 And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness."
 We just encouraged Vanessa to continue with the gospel throughout her life and keep searching for truth in prayer. I can say with out a doubt that this gospel and the church is the best thing for people in their lives. As we come closer to the Lord and worship Him and follow Him, He blesses us in every aspect of our lives just like King Benjamin says in the scripture in Mosiah , " For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual." I have seen the Lord bless my life, my families lives and the lives of the people that have come to a knowledge of the truth of this gospel on my mission. All these experience in my life reconstitute my knowledge of the reality of God and His son Jesus Christ. I know it's true!! 


  Well, just a couple weeks left as a full-time, set apart missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am not excited to lose this calling, but I am excited to return home to my family and continue to share the gospel with those that I love. I assume my last entry on this blog will be my full testimony but over the two years I've shared parts my testimony throughout my writings and I hope they have given people hope in our Savior and His redeeming power. That is the main point of this whole thing! So I hope it helps :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment